Monday, January 7, 2013

The Word of the Day is "Ho`oilo"

Credit: Depositphotos.com/blueice 
Aloha mai kākou,

Wow! Can you believe we’re already into the 2nd week of 2013? The winter solstice had made its presence known on the Big Island so far. The weather forecasters would never be out of job with all the rain we’ve been getting! Its often joked about how the weatherman/weatherwomen could easily say, “the chances of rain is about 50% today,” and would be CORRECT!!! Lol. I think Hilo is probably one of the few places that has a change of weather in a matter of minutes.

Between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., it was drizzling. By the time I had breakfast and put a load of clothes into the washer, it was bright and sunny. Looking around the yard, it was covered in mud and rain puddles. So, I thought to myself that the sun should dry up the yard good. Soon as I got into the car to run an errand, the weather soured, downpours and a mini storm. Arriving to my destination (a few miles away), the sun came out and the rain stopped. Hey, I was in luck, so I quickly made my way into the hardware store. After selecting and paying for my purchases, I was optimistic to see the sun rays outside. And of course, in true `Hiloan’ style, the storm returned, while walking to the car. Of course it stopped, when I got into my vehicle!!!! Hahahaha. *Note: Always carry an umbrella in Hilo, just in case….

The Hawaiian word for winter/ winter solstice is….. “Ho`oilo” (ho oh wee low). Expect huge waves on the north shores, rough oceans, and frequent showers (especially in Hilo and the east side of Maui). Winter season brings snow to the Big Island, atop Mauna Kea (mao na kay ya…. Snow mountain) and Mauna Loa (mao na low wa…..long mountain), depending on the amount of rainfall and freezing temperatures. I am lucky to live on an island where you can experience sunny skies on one side and wintry weather on the other!

A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment