Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Word of the Day is "Kahelelani" - The Shells of Ni'ihau

Kahelelani Shell Necklace of Ni'ihau

Ni'ihau (pronounced nee-ee-how) is represented by its IVORY or white Kahelelani (ka-hay-lay-lah-nee) shells from the Forbidden Isle. These are very tiny, rare shells that are predominantly found on Ni'ihau. The Island is owned by the Robinson family, and guests are allowed by special invitation only. There are different shades of shells and they can run anywhere from $200 and up. Steve and I attended a Merrie Monarch Craft fair in Hilo where we had the opportunity to admire many examples of this Hawaiian art. When you see jewelry made from these shells in person, you can truly understand and appreciate why they are so expensive and rare.

WHEW…..what began several days ago as the word “pua” turned in to a whole tutorial of words!!!

I hope you continue to enjoy this series as I share with you my mother tongue and culture, of which I’m proud of…..My Hawaiian heritage.

A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment