Monday, September 24, 2012

The Word of the Day is "Papa'i"

Crab (Papa'i)

Aloha mai kākou,

A favorite seafood of many, the “papa`i” (pah pah’ee), or crab, can be found in many parts of the world.  Hawai`i also has various types, about 200 species, throughout the islands.  A few years ago, my family and I traveled to Kaua`i (cow wah`ee) .  After attending an important convention, we were invited to a picnic at Anahola beach (ah nah ho lah…..which means deadly winds).  When I got there, I was completely blown away by the severe change of scenery as compared to what I was remembered when my parents brought us there nearly 30 yrs ago.  In 1991, Hurricane ‘Iniki (ee nee kee…..meaning strong and piercing wind) caused about 5 million dollars in damages by flooding and destroying structures.  What didn’t change was the serene beauty, the inviting water, and the friendly spirit of the people there.

We had a potluck of different foods and goodies.  I always say, “a potluck isn’t a potluck, unless you’re in Hawai`i!”  There was steak, teriyaki chicken, veggie platters, fruit platters, RICE (we love rice!) and tons of desserts.  Just when I made my plate, uncle Kalani and his boys brought us an ice cooler loaded with….CRAB!  I couldn’t believe the size of each crab, and they cooked it right on the grill...steamed and ready for us to grind (yes, food is important to us).  After a swim and a feast to remember, I laid out my towel on the sand and crashed out for several hours….. Honest truth!  Enjoy the photos……


Crab (Papa'i)


A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment