Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Word of the Day is "Kope"


Green Coffee Beans
Credit Depositphotos.com/Andy Dean
Aloha mai kākou,

Its hump day, and that means its “Starbuck’s day” for me, which I will use my trusty coupon, and buy one, get another one free, for someone! Lol. In celebration of my special treat, to re-energize myself, today’s word is….. “kope” (ko pay) and yep, you guessed the definition…… coffee!!! The coffee plant was brought to the Kona side of the Big Island in 1828 by Rev. Samuel Ruggles. Henry Greenwell established coffee in the later years of the 19th century, but after the coffee crash of 1899, the plantation owners sold off its land to their workers. At the time, the Japanese and Filipino immigrants scooped up coffee parcels, in which most are still running as family farms.

Kona coffee is one of the most expensive coffee in the world. It blooms its white flowers in February and March, and then it produces green berries by April. Few months later, they turn a bright red, called “cherries”, and are roasted and processed for consumers. I’m very lucky to have Kona coffee available to me on a regular basis, but today…… it’s a Mocha coconut frappucino from Starbucks to give me a little boost ….. Bottoms up!!! =]

A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment