Friday, November 2, 2012

The Word of the Day is "Pala`ai"

Credit: Depositphotos.com/Ingrid Balabanova

Aloha mai kākou,

Wow! We are already into November, and I can’t believe how fast, this year has gone by. I love this time of year. Aside from the hustle and bustle, there is a special kind of atmosphere surrounding the holidays. People are much nicer to each other as we express the holiday cheer. As we take down the spooky décor from Halloween, I can’t help but relish that the few pumpkins I have leftover will be baked into some delicious pumpkin squares and pie!!!! The Hawaiian word for pumpkin is “pala`ai” (pa la eye), which was introduced here by Captain James Cook in 1778 as a gift. Our small pumpkin patch is in full bloom, and I can’t wait to start baking for Thanksgiving. Have a great weekend, and see ya next week.

A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment