Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Word of the Day is "Pelehū"

Credit: Depositphotos.com/David Smith
Aloha mai kākou,

As the countdown begins to Thanksgiving, I almost had a turkey crisis, before the actual day! Yep, for the first time in my Thanksgiving cooking adventures I waited too long, and the stores were sold out! Thank goodness for an awesome friend, who had shared that she bought 2 turkeys, and had another one given to her as a gift. I was like, “hey, can I buy one?” and she said, “of course, I just thought about it now!” ….. *wiping my brow* Turkey disaster averted! Lol. Turkey in Hawaiian is “pelehū” (pay lay hoo), and there is one special way that probably sets Hawai`i apart from traditional methods of baking or deep frying. The turkey is cooked just like our kālua pork, in an underground oven, or imu (ee moo). The meat just falls apart easily and has a delicious smoked flavor. You have to try it when you get here! I’m looking forward to the leftover turkey, in which we make up baked sandwiches, turkey ala king, and Juk (Chinese rice gruel with turkey). My husband and I are going to share the cooking duties for the first time. I can’t wait actually, this is going to be a fantastic meal. I’m so hungry right now! Hang in there, we have one day to go…..

A hui hou,

Haunani

No comments:

Post a Comment